The Claims Manager is responsible for the overall management and administration of the corporate risk management function for the Company, including management of all insurance claims from inception to closure. The Claims Manager also assists the Vice President and General Counsel with the procurement and overall management of the corporate insurance program and contract and subcontract negotiations involving insurance requirements and related indemnification obligations.
Reports To: Vice President & General Counsel
Status: Full Time, Salary
- Proactively manages individual insurance claims from notification to closure, investing the necessary level of involvement required for each claim depending on, inter alia, the nature, category, maturity, type and quantum of the claim. Coordinates safety staff activities through Safety Director. Responsible for the management, evaluation, investigation, prevention, and negotiation of claims.
- Manages third party providers (including brokers, insurers and TPAs), to ensure that all outstanding claims are properly valued and reserved.
- Works with Company operations, brokers, insurers and other outside service providers to implement systems, procedures and approaches to eliminate, mitigate, reduce and control risks.
- Develops, implements and manages all corporate reporting and claims investigation policies and procedures.
- Advises management and counsel on the status of claims.
- Provides analytical reports to management that identify trends and address corrective actions.
- Oversees the corporate insurance programs in areas of property, casualty, workers’ compensation, umbrella, builder’s risk, automobile, pollution, professional liability, subcontractor default, cyber liability and owner controlled and contractor controlled insured programs.
- Maintains all insurance records and reports to management on the status of the Company’s insurance program.
- Conducts the necessary training regarding the corporate insurance program for estimators, project managers and operating departments.
- Provides assistance to the Procurement and Preconstruction teams for review of contractual insurance requirements, insurance provisions, and unusual terms and conditions.
- Obtains specialty coverage quotes as required by owner prime contracts.
- Develops contract terms and conditions on a global basis, taking into account jurisdictional issues. Updates on a regular basis. Reviews exceptions/amendments.
- Conducts annual contract audits and provides recommendations for improvement regarding the Company’s contract administration process.
- Assists the Vice President & General Counsel as necessary.
- Performs additional assignments as required by the needs of the corporation, or as otherwise directed.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the practice of risk management, preferably with construction industry or broker related experience.
- Certifications such as CPCU, ARM, CRM, CRIS, or CIC designation(s) strongly preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate with brokers, underwriters, line organizational leadership, and senior management personnel.
- Competency with Risk Management Software.
- Must possess the ability to adapt to different personalities and management styles.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Reliance on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Dedicated and hard working with strong leadership qualities.
- Above average organizational skills.
- Consistently demonstrates strong interpersonal skills along with the ability to influence and/or persuade others.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of the commercial construction process and the related company policy and procedures.
- Must exercise independent judgment, excellent organizational skills and flexibility.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Possesses strong analytical, decision-making and leadership skills.
Please see HR for information on physical demands and work environment of this job.
The Middlesex Corporation is an “Equal Opportunity Employer—Minorities, Females, Veterans and Disabled Persons”