Staff Counsel assists in the provision of general legal services to The Middlesex Corporation and related companies. Under the supervision of the Vice President & General Counsel, Staff Counsel is primarily responsible for the day-to-day management of all legal/claim matters across multiple jurisdictions. Staff Counsel also provides in-house legal support and analysis to various operations and departments in addition to assisting with the drafting, review, and negotiation of various legal documents. This position requires an individual who can effectively work within a small legal department environment.
Reports To: Vice President & General Counsel
Status: Full Time, Salary
- Proactive day-to-day management of claims (corporate, insurance, or otherwise), from notification to closure (including intake, evaluation, investigation, prevention, and negotiation), investing the necessary level of involvement required for each claim depending on, inter alia, the nature, category, maturity, type and quantum of the claim; this position will include both direct handling of claims and the management of outside counsel/adjusters, as may be appropriate.
- Coordination of internal resources in performing investigations, responding to discovery, and mitigating and resolving claims.
- Management of third party providers (including attorneys, brokers, insurers, and TPAs), to ensure all outstanding matters are properly valued, reserved, and managed to cost-effective results.
- Maintenance of all claim and insurance related files.
- Provide analytical reports to management that identifies trends and addresses corrective actions.
- Draft and negotiate various legal documents, including consultant agreements, contracts, non-disclosure agreements, subcontracts, etc.
- Conduct audits and provide recommendations for improvement to the contract administration process.
- Assist in negotiation, procurement, and management of the corporate insurance program to effectively manage corporate risk.
- Develop and conduct value-add training to minimize, monitor, and control the probability and/or impact of unfortunate events and to maximize opportunities.
- Meet regularly with the General Counsel.
- Perform additional assignments as required by the needs of the Company, or as otherwise directed.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school is required.
- Member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant or transferable experience in construction, corporate, and/or employment law is required.
- Knowledge of the construction industry and business operations is preferred.
- Dedicated and hard working.
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical, decision-making and leadership skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to develop sound solutions to crisis situations.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities, deadlines, and deliverables simultaneously; collaborative and consultative work style and strong partnering skills.
- Flexible and administratively self-sufficient.
Please see HR for information on physical demands and work environment of this job.
The Middlesex Corporation is an “Equal Opportunity Employer—Minorities, Females, Veterans and Disabled Persons”