The Legal Intern is responsible for providing general legal and claims support to the corporate Legal Department and shall report directly to the Vice President and General Counsel. This position requires the ability to accomplish assigned tasks with minimal supervision, while demonstrating superior critical thinking as well as the ability to issue spot and exercise good judgment and discretion.
- Assists the Legal Department in managing the corporate claims program by providing pre‐litigation and litigation support, legal research, investigating claims, notifying appropriate insurers, preparing discovery, drafting, and generally maintaining claim files.
- Assists in tracking and reporting on all claim’s activities
- Performs legal research as needed to support ongoing corporate risk management activities
- Assists with certain collection and liability claim efforts
- Assists in the development of risk management training
- Provides departmental general administrative support
- Assists the Claims Manager and Vice President & General Counsel as otherwise necessary
- Ongoing coursework towards a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school is required
- Prior experience in construction operations and business, paralegal services, contract review, litigation support, or investigating and managing claims is strongly preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong computer skills including MS Office
- Self‐motivated and able to accomplish assigned tasks with minimal supervision
- Self‐starter with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Dedicated and hard working
- Above average organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Possesses strong analytical, decision‐making and leadership skills
The Middlesex Corporation is an “Equal Opportunity Employer—Minorities, Females, Veterans and Disabled Persons”